Little people, lots of pills: Experts debate medicating kids
The article I read about was about a boy named Gavin Gorski, 11, has to have 119 pills every week. The pills help him with hallucinations and voices he hears. It also stabilizes his mood. If Gavin doesn’t take his pills, he loses his fear and does crazy things like jump in front of cars and jump out of a window because he thinks he can fly. For people and especially doctors, this topic is always debated. There are some people who think kids shouldn’t be given too many pills at a young age because it could harm them in the long run. But there are also people who think that if the doctor who prescribed them knows its safe and it improves the child’s way of living, that it is totally fine. My opinion is more leaning towards the side that says that it is okay. I say this because if the doctor is responsible and knows what he is doing then I think it is okay for children to be prescribed pills. But in cases like Gavin, I see no reason to be giving him 119 pills in a week! I’m not a doctor but I think that just might be way too much for a kid younger than me! If I was prescribed that amount of pills I would be scared and uneasy. Over all, I think that if it’s the right amount, it is okay to give kids pills.
No comments:
Post a Comment